Hives also known as Urticaria is a common skin condition that affects about 20 percent of the people in their lifetime. Hives occurs due to an allergy or an underlying health problem.
Hives are red raised wheals that can appear anywhere on the body and in any size and shape. They look like insect bites, pale at the center and red around the edges.
Hives causes itching and swelling of the skin. There are several ways to treat hives.
Antihistamines are usually prescribed to treat hives medicinally. But sometimes, consuming antihistamines can cause side effects such as drowsiness, high blood pressure etc., hence it isn’t an option for some people. Therefore, we have brought together some guidelines to treat hives without antihistamines or any other kind of over the counter or prescription drugs.
Treatment of Hives Without Antihitamines
- Watch what you eat. A food allergy or drug allergy can cause an outbreak of hives. People can be allergic to certain kinds of foods or medicines that can result in an outburst of hives. Hence, it is advisable to avoid eating foods or medicines that triggers an allergic reaction. Sounds obvious, but always read the ingredients before eating food or drinks.
- In some people, hives occur due to extreme temperatures. Heat and Cold can trigger hives rash on the skin. Hence, it is advisable to limit exposure to heat and cold. Try to stay indoors and restrain from doing any physical activities in very hot or very cold climates if you’re prone to hives. A sudden change in body temperatures can also cause hives to occur on the skin. So avoid a sudden change in temperature.
- Pressure against the skin can worsen the condition of hives and cause too much itching. Hence, wear loose fitting and comfortable clothes.
- Use a cool compress on affected areas; this will help relieve symptoms of hives. Use a cold compress only if you are not allergic to cold.
- Taking a bath with lukewarm water and oatmeal helps reduce itching and swelling. An oatmeal bath helps you relax and reduces discomfort caused due to hives.
- Use topical creams directly on the hives to reduce itching and redness. Creams containing aloe vera can really help with hive symptoms.
- Most importantly, do not get stressed out about a possible outbreak. Stress can be triggering factor in worsening the hive conditions. Listen to some soothing music or practice yoga to relieve stress.
- Sip some tea to help relax the nerves.
- If you are suffering from acute hives, then you will need to speak with your doctor. He may prescribe corticosteroid medications which are effective in controlling hives. He/she will also test your skin and medication before going further.
The above mentioned are some preventive methods to treat hives without antihistamines. The take away here is prevention is better than the cure.
It’s quite difficult to soothe and restrain a hives outbreak without the aid of antihistimines., but if you are against using antihistamines, or are not able to easily but them, then keep calm, use lukewarm water to soothe the area or use a natural cream such as Aloe Vera gel.