Many people love to keep animals as house pets, but it is disheartening for pet lovers to suffer from pet allergy and hives as a result. Pet allergy breaks out into various symptoms and one of the symptoms are hives and skin rash.
Pet allergy is usually caused by a protein which is often found in the pet’s dander and saliva. When a person inhales this allergen, an allergic reaction occurs.
The allergy causes a release of histamine in the body which in return develops into skin hives and other allergy symptoms.
Symptoms of Pet Allergy
- Some of the symptoms of Pet allergy are given below.
- The symptoms appear within 15 min to 1 hr after exposure to the allergen.
- Most common and detectable symptoms include wheezing and coughing.
- Hives or skin rashes which are described as red raised itchy welts and can occur anywhere on the body.
- Some of the other symptoms include, sneezing, sore throat, nasal congestion, itchy nose and watery eyes.
- Some people can also get an asthma attack when exposed to the Pet allergen. Whilst some may also contract hay fever.
Prevention of Pet Allergy and Hives
The best way to prevent and minimize pet allergy is to limit exposure to Pets. However, if you cannot part with your Pet, then try to abide by the following instructions.
- Keep your pet clean; brush it regularly to keep it free from dander. As this is the major cause of pet allergy.
- Keep your pets free from fleas, as fleas will make your pet scratch, thereby spreading the allergen in the air, making you prone to pet allergy symptoms.
- Wear a dust mask when cleaning pet litter.
- Keep your pet outside the house. If this isn’t possible then do not let it inside the bedroom and do not let it climb the sofa or bed.
- Wash your hands after petting the animal to get rid of the allergens.
- Keep rooms well ventilated to lessen Pet allergens in the air.
- Clean carpets, sofas, curtains and upholstery with a vacuum cleaner that has a HEPA filter.
- Install High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters in the house.
Treatment of Pet Allergy and Hives
There are several oral antihistamines that are available in the market that can relieve discomfort and reduce hives on the body caused by Pet allergy.
Also one can use topical analgesics or steroid creams to help reduce symptoms.
Anti-itch lotions can be used to reduce itching of hives caused due to Pet allergy.
Pet allergy is a common problem and hence it is better to be aware of how to avoid allergic reactions to pets. The above mentioned pointers will surely help you to steer clear from Pet allergy and hives caused due to Pet allergy.